Is a press release an effective investment? That’s a question that many business owners and marketing professionals are asking themselves in today’s digital age. The answer, unfortunately, is not a simple one.
If you’ve already done your press release research, then you know it’s expensive for good press release distribution and it’s time to focus on press releases. However, before we talk about press releases, let’s take a step back and look at some basic PR knowledge.
On the one hand, press releases can be an incredibly valuable tool for getting your story out there and reaching a wider audience. They can help you build credibility with media outlets and create a positive image for your brand.
On the other hand, press releases can be quite expensive to produce and distribute, and they may not always be effective in reaching your target audience.
Given the state of the press in today’s media-saturated environment, press releases do this: more people see them than they did years ago when people actually opened their mailboxes to find physical press releases with paper clips on them! In other words: today’s press releases aren’t exclusive to journalists. In fact, most PR experts agree: press releases do little to gain earned coverage. Direct pitching an inside scoop is much more effective.
But, press releases are still an effective way for organizations to disseminate news to journalists, media outlets, and bloggers in a format that is easily digestible by search engines. This allows for wider distribution of your message, which will eventually lead to backlinks and press mentions. However, if you’re looking for tangible ROI from press releases, you might be disappointed – press releases are not the silver bullet for marketing success.
Whether to issue press releases is a decision made on a case-by-case basis with your PR agency. If they recommend press releases, there are a few reasons:
1) Well-written press releases are an effective part of an SEO strategy and improving search engine rankings.
2) Press releases help to establish your company or organization as an authority in your field.
3) Issuing press releases can help you to build relationships with journalists and bloggers.
4) Press releases can enhance the all-important trust factor.
5) Press releases can be a way to spread the news about your company’s products and services during slow news periods.
6) Issuing press releases is a great way to stay connected to journalists and bloggers who might write or blog about you in the future.
7) Press releases can serve as “proof” that you are actively involved in your industry if someone were to call out of the blue for this reason.
8) Well-written press releases can establish thought leadership, which may help attract new clients down the road.
9) In today’s world, press releases can be powerful social media content tools — if they’re written well, quickly go through press mentions and social sharing.
A modern PR agency can help you determine whether press releases are the right tool for your organization and, if so, how to write them to garner the most attention. We’re a top-rated Los Angeles PR firm with a distributed team in major media centers. For more information on press releases and other aspects of effective PR, please contact us.